Mental health issues range from mild to severe, difficult to recognize and hard to ignore. This article takes a look at mental health statistics, starting in 2020 when the COVID-19 pandemic began and finishing up mid-2021 where countries are starting to open up again.
How did we fare mentally through these unusual times?
2020 Mental Health Figures
- One in six youth (age 6-17) experience a mental health disorder.
- 40% of adults are struggling with a mental health disorder.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for people ages 10-34. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US. Transgender adults are 12x more likely to commit suicide.
- Half of all mental illnesses begin by age 14.
- Many suffer from more than one mental disorder.
- The most common mental illness is anxiety which afflicts over 18% of the US adult population (40+ million people).
Not terribly encouraging, but who ever expected this pandemic to be so severe and drag on for so long! Let’s fast forward to 2021, vaccines, and communities re-opening.
2021 Mental Health Figures
What does this year look like now that we are emerging from lockdowns? We can only hope these numbers will be trending downward as life returns to some level of normalcy. Early in the year, the trend was consistent with last year, but as we continue to vaccinate and open up our communities, many reports are encouraging:
- Youth mental health disorders are now at 9.7% or less than 1 in 10.
- Adults who have completed their vaccination sequence are reporting a positive impact on their mental health.
- Many are returning to fitness regimes which will support their mental well-being as well.
- Anxiety symptoms are on the decline as business re-open, jobs become available, and options for social return.
- Unfortunately, the pandemic has caused a significant increase in substance abuse. Without treatment, these numbers will continue to remain high.
Feeling Better? Feel Your Best!
We appreciate how challenging this past year and a half have been. We are all ready for uplifting news and an uplifted mental outlook. Every person with mental health challenges deserves an opportunity for help. We are here for you. Reach out to us for personalized counseling and therapy at one of our convenient locations, or via text, video, or phone. Let us help you start your journey to better (and best) mental health!!!